What is Search Engine Optimization?
search en·gine op·ti·mi·za·tion
Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, is the process of maximizing the number of visitors to a particular website by ensuring that the site appears high on the list of results returned by a search engine. (Google)
How does it work?
Search engines crawl and index websites. When someone searches on Google, Bing, Yahoo, Ask Jeeves, etc., the search engine presents a ranked list of relevant and popular websites on the topic of search.
- Relevancy of a page is based upon the ability to best answer a web searcher’s question.
- Popularity is determined by the amount of links on other sites pointing to a page on a different website. Inbound links help to identify expert documents on any given subject. (Moz)
So how do I SEO?
Create content that answers people’s questions. Your goal should be to inform your reader, not to inform the search engines. Content should revolve around keyword research based upon what your customers are actively searching for. By learning everything you can about your market’s keyword searches, you’ll also learn more about your customers, and what makes them tick.
If you would like to try to do some keyword research on your own, I recommend signing up for Google AdWords so you may gain access to their Google Keyword Research Tool. It’s not the most straight-forward information, but it’s a start 🙂
- What are your customer’s pain points and can you write about any customer success stories?
- What do your customers enjoy doing? Do they have any relevant hobbies or lifestyles you could write about?
- Can you make the keywords you’re planning on targeting relevant to the rest of your site’s content?